Rushing to make your flight or drive to your destination? You can still buy healthy food when you’re in travel mode and surrounded by calorie-laden temptations at the airport or rest stop.
1. Try not to be lured in by the oversized bags of candy or chips. But if you must indulge, at least purchase a small portion or share something with a family member or friend.
2. Usually you can find a snack that’s good for your heart. Try going nuts! If you’re looking for something crunchy and satisfying, a palmful of dry unsalted roasted almonds or pistachios would be a smart idea. They’re also a good source of protein.
3. Craving sweet and flavorful food? How about a cup of watermelon or sliced mango? The high water content of fruits can make you feel fuller longer and can help keep you hydrated.
4. Need something creamy? A small cup of fat-free or low-fat frozen yogurt or just a cup of plain yogurt is a good choice. Watch the large yogurt cups with fruit and granola—they can have up to 500 calories.
5. If a small snack won’t satisfy you, try a whole-grain turkey sandwich with plenty of veggies. Place the dressing on the side or skip it all together.
Happy snacking and travel safely!
Registered dietician Elizabeth Fassberg runs Eat Food, a New York City-based company that designs and delivers custom food and nutrition programs for businesses, organizations and individuals. She’s coaching the Avagliano family through the six-month Healthy Family Challenge.