Here’s a list of some more healthy snack ideas you can find while on the road so you don’t have to succumb to poor eating choices:
1. Mixed fruit salad. A fruit smoothie can sound like a healthy snack but an 8 ounce cup can add up to 250 calories. A cup of strawberries will only set you back about 50 calories and it’s more satisfying to chew your food than sip it.
2. Hummus and carrot sticks (or with the pretzels that come in the top)
3. Whole-grain crackers with a few cubes of low-fat cheese
4. Low-fat cottage cheese
5. Plain yogurt with any fresh fruit
6. A skim latte
7. Grilled chicken salad with balsamic dressing on the side (Go easy on the croutons and dressing.)
8. Minestrone soup or chicken noodle soup. (Anything with a clear broth would be great. Try to avoid soups with cream.)
Registered dietician Elizabeth Fassberg runs Eat Food, a New York City-based company that designs and delivers custom food and nutrition programs for businesses, organizations and individuals. She’s coaching the Avagliano family through the six-month Healthy Family Challenge.