So, what have we learned? If I had to make a short list of what I’m taking away from the challenge, here’s what the past (nearly) six months have taught me and my family.
Focus on three basics:
- Exercise. Nothing else will help you fit into the jeans you want to wear. Find an activity you love. Make it easy for you to do it.
- Drink water! Eight glasses a day. It works! You will want to eat less, and you will feel better.
- Plan ahead. Fast food is the easy option for those who are not prepared. Be prepared, and you will eat healthier and save money!
Make smart choices:
- Avoid buying junk food. If I buy foods that are bad for me, I will eat them. I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate. The best solution: Get rid of the junk, do not buy more and don’t make any at home.
- Don’t have just any old dessert. I used to eat ice cream sundaes with peanut butter and hot fudge sauce. Now I have a cup of sorbet or vanilla frozen yogurt with raspberries and bananas. Make Jello and sugar free pudding with fat free milk.
- Give in if it makes sense. If you really want something, eat it, but be conscious of the amount of food you consume. For example, if you really want an ice cram, have it. But not while you are sitting in front of the television or talking on the phone and distracted. Enjoy it. Make the calories count.
- Track your results. Use sparkpeople.com or any of the free websites on line to track your results. Buy a Fitbit or other tracking device. I loved mine, and wish I had not lost it. These devices help to make you accountable to yourself! Other websites, like Earndit.com tie into the Fitbit site and reward you with gift certificates for achieving your goals!
- Get a buddy. Having someone to share your weight loss journey with makes it easier to stick with it.
Never, ever, ever give up:
- If you totally blow your new diet, just start again the next day. Do not feel like you should wait to start over on Monday, since you blew it on Friday night. You’ll have a reason to not start on Monday too!
Begin right now:
- You’ll never lose weight simply by reading about it. Start today.
What one truth of weight loss do you believe everyone needs to know? Post a comment and let me know!