More
close ad

Summer Pet Pitfalls: Keep Your Pets Safe

  • Share
  • Print
Poisonous Plants

Summer foliage and flowers, such as daffodils and tulips, often look good enough to eat but can be toxic when consumed by dogs and cats.

Cause for concern: Eating bulbs can lead to cardiovascular problems and endanger the central nervous system; ingesting lilies can cause kidney failure in cats. Certain fertilizers and lawn chemicals can be toxic to your pet. If you notice signs of poisoning -- vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or tremors -- take your animal to the vet.

To keep your pet safe: Plant nontoxic blooms, like violets, orchids, or daisies, in the yard. And if your pet tries to nibble from a community garden, tug at his leash and firmly tell him "no." As for fertilizer, choose one that doesn't contain insecticides or herbicides. How to tell? If the package says, "kills weeds" or "kills insects," the fertilizer may also be a danger to your pet.

More Smart Savings