SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Skill Level: Beginner
Materials: Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn, 3-oz. skeins: 1 skein each of Forest Green Heather (G), White Frost (W) and Cranberry (R). Size H crochet hook, or any size to obtain stitch gauge below. Tapestry needle.
Gauge: Working in single crochet, 9 sc = 2"; 6 rows = 1"
Basic Square: Starting at center with G, ch 4. Join with sl st to form ring. Rnd 1: ch 4, work (dc in ring, ch 1) 7 times. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch-t (first 3 ch of ch-4 counts as 1 dc – 8 ch-1 sps. Cut yarn and fasten. (Note: To prevent loose ends, lay each end of yarn along top of last rnd made and crochet over it for 2 or 3 sts of following round, then cut end close to work.) Rnd 2: With W, make a loop on hook, yarn over hook (there are 2 loops on hook), insert hook in any ch-1 sp and draw up a loop, complete a dc, 2 more dc in same ch-1 sp, * ch 1, make 3 dc in next ch-1 sp; rpt from * around, end with ch 1. Join with sl st to top of first dc – 8 3-dc groups. Rnd 3: With G, make a loop on hook, yarn over hook (there are 2 loops on hook), insert hook in any ch-1 sp and draw up a loop, complete a dc, make 2 more dc in same sp, * sk 3 dc, in next ch-1 sp make 3 dc, ch 1 and 3 dc for corner; sk 3 dc, make 3 dc in next ch-1 sp; rpt from * 2 more times; sk 3 dc, in next ch-1 sp make 3 dc, ch 1 and 3 dc. Join with sl st to top of first dc – 4 corner groups. Rnd 4: With R, make a loop on hook, insert hook in any st and draw up a loop, complete a sc; make a sc in each st up to corner. At corner, make 2 sc, ch 1, 2 sc in corner st, continue around edge in same manner, join with sl st to top of first sc to finish square.
Skill Level: Beginner
Materials: Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn, 3-oz. skeins: 1 skein each of Forest Green Heather (G), White Frost (W) and Cranberry (R). Pair of size 6 knitting needles, or any size to obtain stitch gauge below. Tapestry needle. Size G crochet hook. Adhesive white felt letters (F, I, 2L, M, E).
Gauge: In st st, 5 sts = 1"; 6 rows = 1"
1. Toe and instep: Starting at toe with R, cast on 6 sts. Row 1 (right side): k 6. Row 2: p across. Row 3: k 1, insert needle under bar before next st and k one st – one st inc made; (k 2, inc one st as before) twice; k last st – 9 sts. Row 4 and all even-numbered Rows: P across. Row 5: (k 2, inc one st as before) 4 times; k 1 – 13 sts. Row 7: k 1, (inc one st as before, k 3) 4 times – 17 sts. Row 9: (k 4, inc one st) 4 times; k 1 – 21 sts. Row 11: k across. Row 12: p across. Rows 13-28: Rpt Rows 11 and 12 alternately 8 times. Cut R, leaving a 3" length; attach W. Slip Stitch Pattern. Row 29: With W, k across row. Row 30: p across. Row 31: Attach G, drop W (do not cut W). With G, k across. Row 32: p across. Row 33: Pick up W and twist around G once, drop G; with W * holding yarn in back, sl 1 as if to p, k 2; rpt from *across. Row 34: With W, k across. Note: When changing color, always twist color not in use around other strand once. Row 35: Change color to G, drop W, with G * k 2, sl 1 as before; rpt from * across to last 3 sts, k 3. Row 36: With G, p across. Cut G (do not cut W). Rows 37-44: Using R instead of G, work same as for last 8 rows (Rows 29-36). Cut R. Last 16 rows (Rows 29-44) form pat.
Leg: Pick up W and on same needle (with sts), cast on 60 sts – 81 sts. Rows 45-52: Working across all sts, with G and W, rpt Rows 29-36. Rows 53-60: Using R instead of G, rpt same 8 rows of pat. Measure about 25 yards of R and wind into a separate small ball (call this ball 2nd R strand).
Heel Shaping: Row 69: With W, k 66; drop W to wrong side of work, attach 2nd R strand and with this R strand k rem 15 sts. When changing color, continue to twist strand not in use around the other once to prevent making holes in work. Row 70: With 2nd R strand p 16, change to W dropped below and with W p rem sts. Attach first R strand. Row 71: With R, k 64; drop R, pick up 2nd R strand and k rem 17 sts. Row 72: With 2nd R strand p 18, drop 2nd R strand, pick up first R strand dropped below and p rem sts. Row 73: With W, (sl 1, k 2) 20 times; sl 1, k 1, drop W, pick up 2nd R strand and k 19. Row 74: With 2nd strand p 20, with W k rem sts. Row 75: With first R (k 2, sl 1) 20 times, drop R, pick up 2nd R strand and k 21. Row 76: With 2nd R strand p 21, with first R strand dropped below p rem 60 sts. Cut first R strand. Rows 77-100: Working the 21 sts of heel with 2nd R strand even in st st (k 1 row, p 1 row), work remaining 60 sts in pat (starting with Row 29) for 24 rows. Rows 101-104: With R, work 4 more rows of pat over 60 sts, keeping heel sts even. Row 105: With W (sl 1, k 2) 20 times; k 1, with 2nd R strand k 20. Row 106: With 2nd R, p 19. With W, k across. Row 106: With 2nd R, p 19. With W, k across. Row 107: With first R (k 2, sl 1) 21 times; with 2nd R k 18. Row 108: With 2nd R p 17, with first R p 64. Cut first R. Row 109: With W k 65, with 2nd R k 16. Row 110: With 2nd R p 15, with W p 66. This completes heel; cut 2nd R strand. Working in pat across all sts, rpt Rows 31-44; then rpt Rows 29-36 once more. Cut G. Next Row: With W k across. Next Row: p 21, bind off rem sts for front edge of leg – leg completed.
Instep and Toe: Rows 1-16: With R, rpt Rows 31-36; then with G, rpt Rows 29-36; with W rpt Rows 29 and 30. Cut W; attach R. Rows 17-26: With R only, work in st st (k 1 row, p 1 row). Row 27: (k 3, k 2 tog) 4 times; k 1 – 4 decs made. Row 28: p across. Row 29: Continuing in st st, dec 4 sts evenly spaced across. Rpt last 2 rows (Rows 28 and 29) 1 more time – 9 sts. Next Row: (k 2 tog) 4 times; k 1. Bind off.
2. Make Cuff: With R, cast on 66 sts. Work in st st (k one row, p one row) until piece measures 7". Bind off. Block. Fold cuff in half lengthwise, with right sides facing and raw edges even. Sew seam to form ring. Fold ring in half with right sides out and edges even. Pin inside upper edge of stocking with edges even. Sew close to edge. Turn cuff to right side.
3. To make hanging loop, with R, ch 25. Row 1: Make a dc in 3rd ch from hook; make a dc in each ch across. Fasten off.
4. Fold loop in half crosswise; stitch ends inside upper back edge of stocking.
5. Peel backing off letters and apply to cuff.
6. To make pompom, using 1 strand each of R and W, wrap around 2" piece of cardboard to make as fluffy as desired. Cut a 20" strand each of R, W and G; slip wrapped yarn off cardboard and tie tightly around center. Braid long strands together; knot ends. Cut loops open. Stitch end of braid inside stocking, next to hanging loop.
Skill Level: Beginner
Materials: Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn, 3-oz. skeins: 1 skein each of Forest Green Heather (G), White Frost (W) and Cranberry (R). Lion Brand Angora Merino yarn, 1.75-oz. skein: 1 skein Vanilla (V). Size G crochet hook, or any size to obtain stitch gauge below. Tapestry needle. Adhesive red felt letters (N, O, E, L). Sheets of adhesive felt: red, pink, white, black.
Gauge: Working in single crochet, 4 sc = 1"; 9 rows = 2"
1. Make front: Starting at lower edge with G, ch 34. Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, sc in each ch to last ch, 2 sc in last ch – inc made. Ch 1, turn. Row 2: Sc in each sc to last ch, 2 sc in last sc – 35 st. Ch 1, turn. Rows 3-7: Rep Row 2 – 40 st. Row 8: Sc across. Row 9: Rep Row 2. Ch 1, turn – 41 st. Rows 10-13: Rep Row 8. Ch 1, turn. Row 14: Sk first sc – dec made at toe edge; sc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn. Row 15: Sc in each sc across. Rows 16-19: Rep Rows 14 and 15 two times – 38 sc. Ch 1, turn. Row 20: Rep Row 14. Row 21: Sc in each sc up to last 4 sc; sk next sc, sc in next sc; do not work over last 2 sc. Row 22: Sk first sc, sc in each rem sc – 33 sc. Rows 23 and 24: Rep Rows 21 and 22. Rows 25-29: Rep Row 15 once, then Rows 14 and 15 alternately 2 times – 27 sc. Ch 1, turn. Rows 30-79: Rep Row 15 50 times, ending at toe side. Fasten off.
2. Make back: Same as front.
3. Place front and back with edges even. Using R, loop yarn over hook; starting at upper edge, insert hook through front and back of stocking and pull yarn through to make sc; make sc in each st around sides and lower edge of stocking to join front to back.
4. Make cuff: At upper edge, with one strand each of W and V, make a loop on hook, insert hook in any st and draw up a loop, complete a sc; make an sc in every st. Join with sl st at end. * Ch 1, sc in each sc around; rep from * until cuff measures 4". Fasten off. Fold cuff down.
5. To make hanging loop, with G, ch 25. Row 1: Make a dc in 3rd ch from hook; make a dc in each ch across. Fasten off.
6. Fold loop in half crosswise; stitch ends inside upper back edge of stocking.
7. Peel backing off letters and apply to cuff.
8. Enlarge stocking photo so Santa is actual size. Trace each section of Santa; cut from felt. Peel off paper backing and adhere Santa to front of stocking.
Visit knitandcrochet.com for master lists of knit and crochet abbreviations, helpful pattern-reading advice, discussion forums and more.
Go to familycircle.com/stockings to:
Learn more about the featured Lion Brand yarns at your local craft stores or online at lionbrand.com.
Originally published in the November 29, 2011, issue of Family Circle magazine.