- Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Chris Hanmer's Kosher Molten Chocolate Cake and Apple Cinnamon Fritters
He was the youngest American ever to snag the title at the World Pastry Team Championship in 2004. In 2011 Chris Hanmer handily baked his way to victory on season 2 of Top Chef: Just Desserts. Turns out Chef Chris also makes a mean kosher dessert. Five-ingredient Molten Chocolate Cakes and Apple Cinnamon Fritters? Um, yes, please!
Kosher Molten Chocolate Cakes
Illustration by John Ritter
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine
15 ounces dark chocolate
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt margarine and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, stirring until melted and hot to the touch. Turn off heat.
- Whip eggs, egg yolks and sugar until light and stiff.
- Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture in a steady stream.
- Spray insides of four 4-ounce ramekins with nonstick spray.
- Spoon mixture into ramekins, dividing evenly. Bake until set on the outside but still liquid in center, about 10-15 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Kosher Apple Cinnamon Fritters
2 1/4 cups apple cider
4 tablespoons margarine
2 cups matzo, cake
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavor
1 grated apple
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the cider, margarine, sugar and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Mix the cinnamon with about 1 cup of sugar and set aside.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, add the matzo all at one time, mixing it quickly. It will get stiff very quickly.
- Stir the mixture until it is smooth and there are no more lumps of matzo, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the thick paste into a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, stir. Or use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until the first one is fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- Grate the apples. Add to the mixture and mix well.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot to 350 degrees F. Place the mixture in a pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe out 3-inch logs into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
- Remove the fritters from the oil and mix in the cinnamon sugar.
Originally published in the April 2012 issue of Family Circle magazine.
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.