Letting Gravity Do the Work
"Yanking"and "dropping" are terms that shouldn't be used when working with weights. To get the most out of strength-training and stretching, movements should be smooth and controlled.
The Right Way
The Wrong Way
- Maintain an upright posture with head up, shoulders back, ab muscles engaged, and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Raise and lower the weights slowly and smoothly, pausing slightly after each repetition.
- Keep your palms facing up. Don't rotate your wrists as you lift or lower the weights.
- Leaning back as you yank up the weights when performing biceps curls with handheld weights.
- Using momentum to raise and lower the weights.
- Letting your elbows drift away from the sides of your body.