Sneak It In
Short on time? Don't fret -- just tie up your sneaks and get out there. Frequency and making walking a habit are most important this month. Following our strategies below will help you accumulate the minutes you need.
- Make your trip to the mailbox a longer journey. Never drive up to your box. Walk up the street past a few neighbors' driveways on the way to grab the mail and walk another five minutes before returning home.
- Every hour, get up and walk just three minutes. Do this eight times a day, whether around your house or to visit colleagues in your office, and you'll be guaranteed 24 minutes of exercising.
- Whenever you're watching television, walk during the commercials, even if that means just marching in place.
- While you're brushing your teeth, chatting on the telephone, or doing relatively sedentary activities that don't require much thought, pace around the room.
- Set your alarm to go off 10 minutes earlier and leave a fresh pair of athletic socks on your night table. Getting into your gear is the first step to getting out the door.