White Cake With Triangular Twirl
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 2 hrs
- Chill: 30 mins
- Bake: 35 mins at 325°F
recipe Basic White Cake(see www.familycircle.com)
(6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
solid vegetable shortening
recipes Butter Cream Frosting (see www.familycircle.com)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 2-inch round layer-cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease paper; dust pans with flour.
- Prepare Basic White Cake and pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in 325 degree F oven 35 minutes. Unmold and cool following recipe directions.
- Mix chocolate and shortening in small saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted and smooth.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, trace 8 triangles, 4 inches long and 2-1/8 inches at widest point.
- Pour melted chocolate into pastry bag fitted with medium writing tip. Outline triangles in one smooth steady line. Then fill in interior of triangles with random pattern (photo, upper right). Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- When the cakes are almost completely cooled, prepare Butter Cream Frosting.
- When cakes are completely cooled, slice off rounded top if necessary to flatten (reserve for snacks). Invert one layer on serving plate. Spread 1/2 to 3/4 cup of frosting over top of cake. Place second layer on top, bottom up. Spread remaining frosting over sides and top of cake, using long, thin metal spatula to smooth as evenly as possible.
- Spoon small amount of frosting into pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe small rosette in center of cake.
- . Using long, thin metal spatula, carefully loosen triangles from waxed paper. Evenly space triangles around top of cake, standing triangles upright; anchor tip of triangles in rosette, and gently press in frosting. Makes 16 servings.