Charred Citrus Chicken
- cal. (kcal) 556
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Marinate: 20 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Grill: 25 mins
whole chicken legs (2 lbs)
quick-cook wheat berries (such as Nature's Earthly Choice)
chopped parsley or cilantro
- Place chicken in a resealable bag. Add juice of 1 orange and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Marinate 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat grill to medium-high for indirect grilling. (For charcoal, stack coals to one side, leaving other side empty. For gas, leave one burner off.)
- Peel and cut sections from 1 orange and 1 grapefruit; dice. Cut second grapefruit in half and juice one half. Save second half for another use. Toss fruit with 1/4 tsp salt and half the scallions.
- Place chicken on hot side of grill. Cover and grill 5 minutes. Flip over and grill 5 minutes, then move to cooler side of grill and cook 10 to 15 more minutes, until chicken reaches 165 degrees .
- Meanwhile, combine water and wheat berries in a lidded pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and toss with reserved grapefruit juice, the olive oil, 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, remaining scallions and the parsley. Top chicken with fruit and serve wheat berries alongside.
Nutrition Information for Charred Citrus ChickenServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 556 cal., 20 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 649 mg sodium, 65 g carb. (16 g fiber, 20 g sugars), 34 g pro.