Roast Chicken and Veggies
- cal. (kcal) 404
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Roast: 1 hr 10 mins at 400°F
whole chicken (about 3-1/4 pounds)
cloves garlic, minced
sprigs fresh tarragon
baby potatoes, quartered
asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
leeks, cleaned and sliced
- Heat oven to 400 degree F.
- Grate lemon peel and set zest aside; cut lemon into quarters. Separate skin from breasts of chicken. Under skin, spread lemon zest, garlic and two of the tarragon sprigs. Season outside and cavity of chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Place lemon quarters and remaining 4 tarragon sprigs in cavity. Place chicken in center of a large roasting pan. Roast on lower shelf at 400 degree F for 30 minutes.
- Toss potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper in a medium-size bowl. Coat second large roasting pan with nonstick spray; add potatoes. After chicken has roasted for 30 minutes, add potatoes to top shelf; roast both 15 minutes longer.
- Combine asparagus, leeks, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium-size bowl; toss to coat.
- After potatoes have roasted for 15 minutes, add asparagus mixture to pan; roast chicken and vegetables 25 minutes longer, stirring once. Chicken is done when internal temperature measures 165 degree F on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh meat.
- Let rest 10 minutes before carving. Remove and discard skin before serving.
Nutrition Information for Roast Chicken and VeggiesServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 404 cal., 13 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 117 mg chol., 708 mg sodium, 28 g carb. (5 g fiber), 45 g pro.