- cal. (kcal) 499
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cool: 10 mins
- Bake: 30 mins at 350°F
unsweetened cocoa powder
unsalted butter, softened
packed light-brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray.
- Cake. In bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add brown sugar; beat until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. On low, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cakes directly onto racks; cool completely. While the cakes cool, make the frosting.
- Place one cake layer on pedestal. Spread top with 1 cup frosting and 1/2 cup coconut. Add second layer. Spread frosting on top and side of cake. Press remaining 2 1/2 cups coconut into frosting. Garnish with raspberries and mint, if desired.
- 1 1/2
unsalted butter, cut up
reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
sweetened flake coconut
rasberries and mint to garnish (optional)
- Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Beat in boiling water. Add butter and cream cheese, beating well on medium-high speed after adding each piece. Beat in extract. Refrigerate until firmer consistency, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Nutrition Information for Chocolate-Coconut CakeServings Per Recipe: 12
PER SERVING: 499 cal., 24 g total fat (16 g sat. fat), 77 mg chol., 257 mg sodium, 70 g carb. (3 g fiber), 5 g pro.