- cal. (kcal) 20
- Makes: 42 servings
- Yield: 3-1/2 dozen cookies
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 15 mins at 250°F
- Microwave: 1 min
unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch ground cinnamon
egg whites, at room temperature
cream of tartar
semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with nonstick foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder and ground cinnamon. Place egg whites into the bowl of a standing mixer, or a large bowl. Add the cream of tartar.
- Begin beating egg whites on low speed, using the whip attachment, until foamy. Increase the speed to medium, and add sugar mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Transfer mixture to a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (go to confectioneryhouse.com to purchase). Pipe onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour, 15 minutes-do not open oven door or meringues may collapse. Turn off oven; let meringues sit in oven at least 1/2 hour, then remove baking sheets from oven. Carefully remove cookies directly to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Place semisweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Transfer to a small plastic bag. Snip off a corner. Transfer meringues to a sheet of waxed paper. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Let dry completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information for Cocoa MeringuesServings Per Recipe: 42
PER SERVING: 20 cal., 5 mg sodium, 4 g carb.