Meringue Berry Bowls
- cal. (kcal) 125
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 50 mins at 250°F
egg whites, at room temperature
cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Cover 2 baking sheets with nonstick foil.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat whites to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar a few tablespoons at a time, beating constantly, until fully incorporated, 5 to 7 minutes; meringue should form glossy, stiff peaks, without sugar granules.
- Transfer meringue to large resealable plastic bag. Snip off a corner and pipe eight 3-1/2-inch round outlines onto prepared baking sheets. Fill in outlines with a small amount of meringue, spreading with spatula. Build walls on top of base at edges using a continuous stream of meringue. Do not pipe higher than 1 1/4 inches, as walls may fall over. There should be a total of 8 bowls.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 50 minutes; the meringues should be firm but not yet brown. Remove baking sheets to wire racks to cool. Once meringues have cooled, gently peel them from the foil. If meringues are sticking, cut around them and remove from the baking sheet, with the foil attached to the meringue, then slowly and carefully peel the foil from the bottom of the meringue. To prepare ahead, bake, cool and store meringues in airtight container at room temperature for a day or two. If meringues are soft or moist, return to a 250 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss together berries, sugar and orange juice in large bowl.
- Place a meringue bowl on a dessert plate. Fill with 1/4 cup of the berry mixture. Repeat with all bowls and berries.
Nutrition Information for Meringue Berry BowlsServings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 125 cal., 28 mg sodium, 30 g carb. (2 g fiber), 2 g pro.