- cal. (kcal) 170
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 2 mins
- Bake: 40 mins at 375°F
frozen chopped kale, thawed, squeezed dry
plus 1/8 tsp salt
large eggs, separated, plus 1 large egg white
cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees . Spread 1 tbsp butter on bottom and sides of a 6-cup souffle dish. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup Parmesan, turning to coat completely.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in a small pot over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute, until thickened. Stir in kale, 1/2 tsp salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly stir a third of warm kale mixture into yolks. (Mixing too quickly could cause eggs to scramble.) Stir in remaining mixture and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and 1/8 tsp salt on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to high and beat 1 to 2 minutes, until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Don't overmix or the souffle won't rise properly.
- Transfer to prepared dish. Place in oven and reduce heat to 375 degrees . Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until souffle has risen and is browned. Quickly insert an instant-read thermometer into center of souffle; temperature should register at least 140 degrees . Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information for Kale SouffléServings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 170 cal., 12 g total fat 6 g carb. (1 g fiber), 10 g pro.