- cal. (kcal) 180
- Makes: 18 servings
- Yield: 18 turnovers
- Prep: 15 mins
- Bake: 15 mins at 400°F
- Cook: 5 mins
medium-size Granny Smith apples (about 1 pound), peeled, cored and grated
Pinch ground nutmeg
(1/2 package) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
fresh lemon zest
frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples, currants, sugar and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in cream cheese, egg yolk, flour and lemon zest.
- Unfold one of the pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Roll out slightly to measure 12 inches square. With pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut pastry into 9 equal squares (each 4 inches per side).
- Spoon 1 tablespoon apple mixture into the center of one square. Fold in half diagonally to form a triangle. Seal open edges with a fork and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with a little egg white. Repeat with remaining squares.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 14 to 15 minutes, until puffed and nicely browned on top. While turnovers bake, repeat rolling, filling and folding with remaining pastry sheet, filling and brushing with egg white.
- Remove turnovers from baking pans to wire rack to cool, at least 10 minutes. Best if served same day as baking; reheat in 350 degrees F oven for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information for Apple TurnoversServings Per Recipe: 18
PER SERVING: 180 cal., 10 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 18 mg chol., 119 mg sodium, 21 g carb. (2 g fiber), 3 g pro.