- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: overnight
- Cook: 9 mins
- Microwave: 15 seconds
eggs, separated (save whites for another use)
envelope unflavored gelatin
soft ladyfingers (2 1/2 packages, 3 ounces each)
refrigerated pasteurized egg whites
confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder (optional)
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring continuously until the mixture is thick and lemony, about 6 minutes. Add Marsala and continue whisking until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon water in a small cup. Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir to dissolve completely. Stir into the egg yolk and wine mixture. Remove to a bowl and cool.
- Line a 4-quart bowl with plastic wrap, draping extra over the sides. Line the bowl with the ladyfingers, trimming the tops flat if necessary.
- In a clean, large bowl, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the cream to soft peaks. Fold whipped egg whites and whipped cream into the cooled egg yolk and wine mixture.
- Pour mixture into the lined bowl. Cover the top with ladyfingers. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, gently invert onto plate and dust top with confectioners' sugar and cocoa, if desired.