Sausage and Peppers
- cal. (kcal) 386
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Slow Cook: 3 hrs to 6 hrs
- Cook: 1 min
- Broil: 2 mins
large sweet red peppers, seeded and sliced
large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
large sweet yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
large onion, cut into wedges
hot or sweet Italian turkey sausages
red wine vinegar
cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
small multigrain submarine or hoagie rolls (2 to 3 oz each)
- Combine peppers, onion, sausages, vinegar, thyme and black pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours. Use a slotted spoon to remove peppers and sausages from slow cooker; set aside and keep warm.
- Heat broiler. Pour liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and mustard. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, slice rolls almost all the way through lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet, cut side up, on top rack under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted. Cut sausages diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices and stir back into pepper mixture. Place a scant 1 cup of the sausage mixture on each roll. Drizzle each sandwich with a generous 2 tbsp of the sauce, reserving remaining sauce for dipping. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information for Sausage and PeppersServings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 386 cal., 14 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 56 mg chol., 945 mg sodium, 47 g carb. (8 g fiber), 23 g pro.