Shrimp Po' Boy
- cal. (kcal) 501
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 2 mins
- Stand: 1 min
plain bread crumbs
cleaned raw 21 to 30 count shrimp (thawed, if frozen)
large egg whites, lightly beaten
hoagie rolls or 3 small loaves Italian bread, trimmed, halved and split
large tomato, sliced
- Heat oil in a saucepan (not more than half full) over medium-high heat to 365 degrees on a deep-fat fry thermometer. Adjust temperature under pot to maintain 365 degrees .
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, Cajun seasoning and salt. Heat oven to 200 degrees . Line a large baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels.
- Toss 1/3 of the shrimp with egg whites. With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to bread crumb mixture and toss to coat. Fry in 365 degrees oil for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to papertowel- lined sheet and keep warm in 200 degrees oven. Repeat twice more with remaining shrimp, egg whites and bread crumb mixture (you will have egg white and bread crumbs leftover).
- Fry shrimp in 2 more batches, letting oil return to 360 degrees to 365 degrees before adding next batch.
- Meanwhile, spread 1 tbsp tartar sauce on each hoagie roll or Italian bread section. Top each with 1/4 cup arugula leaves, about 8 shrimp and 2 tomato slices. Sandwich and serve.
Nutrition Information for Shrimp Po' BoyServings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 501 cal., 23 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 175 mg chol., 809 mg sodium, 42 g carb. (3 g fiber), 33 g pro.