Sweetheart Cake Pops
- cal. (kcal) 348
- Serving size: 16
- Prep: 15 mins
- Freeze: 1 hr
- Cool: 30 mins
- Microwave: 6 mins
- Decorate: 1 hr
loaf (12 oz)
Entenmann's marble cake
canned chocolate frosting
Wilton silicone Petite Hearts pan
pkg (14 oz each)
white, red and pink candy melts
Paper lollipop sticks
tbsp vegetable oil
Red, pink and white decorating sugar
White and red nonpareils
cups confectioners' sugar
Red gel food coloring
- Finely crumble cake into a large bowl. Stir in frosting, pressing crumbs together with a silicone spatula or the back of a spoon to make a dough.
- Press a heaping tbsp of the dough into one of the cavities of the Petite Hearts pan. Repeat with remaining cavities. Pop out shaped cakes onto a wax-paper-lined sheet pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Freeze 1 hour.
- Place white candy melts in a glass bowl. Microwave at 50% for 1 minute. Stir and continue to melt at 50% in 30-second increments until a few lumps remain. Sir until smooth.
- Remove half the hearts from the freezer. Dip a lollipop stick about 3/4 inch into white candy, then insert into cake. Repeat with all hearts. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Reheat white candy melts until smooth. Stir in 1 tbsp of the oil. Dip a pop into white candy and gently tap so excess coating drips back into bowl. Return to wax-paper-lined sheet. Repeat with a third of the cake pops (removing from refrigerator one at a time), adding decorating sugar or nonpareils to some of the pops and leaving others plain.
- Melt red and pink candy melts in same way as white ones, stirring 1 tbsp of the oil into each. Dip pops into desired coating and add decorating sugar or nonpareils to some, leaving others plain.
- Make a quick icing: Beat confectioners sugar and 7 tsp water in a bowl (this will be stiff). Divide into thirds. Add cocoa powder and a little more water to one bowl; add red gel food coloring to another bowl. Transfer to pastry bags fitted with small writing tips. Pipe messages onto white pops in red icing; use cocoa icing for pink pops and white icing on red pops. Let dry.