Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Panini
- cal. (kcal) 408
- Makes: 5 servings
- Yield: servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Chill: overnight
- Slow Cook: on HIGH for 6 hours or on LOW for 8 hours
- Cook: 3 mins per batch
can (14.5 oz)
reduced-sodium vegetable broth
basil leaves, plus 15 large leaves for sandwiches
slices whole-grain bread
jarred basil pesto
- The night before cooking, core, halve and seed tomatoes. Thinly slice garlic and combine in a resealable bag with tomatoes. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, combine tomatoes and garlic with broth and cup of the basil leaves in a 41/2-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or on LOW for 8 hours.
- Once soup is almost done, heat panini press. Place 5 slices of the bread on a work surface. Spread 1/2 tsp pesto on each slice. Cut mozzarella and tomatoes into 10 thin slices each. Place 2 slices of the mozzarella on bread. Add 3 basil leaves to each sandwich and top each with 2 slices tomato. Top with 5 remaining bread slices and coat both sides of sandwiches with nonstick cooking spray. Cook sandwiches in panini press for 3 minutes (2 or 3 sandwiches per batch), until browned and cheese is melted.
- While sandwiches cook, ladle half the tomato mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth. Add remaining tomato mixture to blender if there is space (or do in batches); blend until smooth (or you can use an immersion blender instead). Divide among 5 bowls (about 1 cups per serving). Serve with a sandwich.
- For easy cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Information for Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese PaniniServings Per Recipe: 5
PER SERVING: 408 cal., 17 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 47 mg chol., 795 mg sodium, 42 g carb. (9 g fiber), 19 g pro.