- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Chill: overnight
- Roast: 30 mins at 450°F
- Roast: 1 hr 30 mins at 350°F
Brined Turkey, patted dry (recipe follows)
carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
ribs celery, halved crosswise
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place onion, carrots and celery inside turkey cavity. Twist wing tips behind back. Tie up legs or tuck them into flap of skin. Place turkey, breast-side up, on rack in large roasting pan. Brush with oil. Roast at 450 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast turkey at 350 degrees F., basting every 15 minutes with pan liquid, for 1-1/2 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F. When turkey is 3/4 done, loosely cover breast and top of drumsticks with lightweight foil to prevent overcooking. Remove from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Makes 12 servings.
firmly packed dark-brown sugar
onion, halved and thinly sliced
cloves garlic, slightly crushed
whole black peppercorns, crushed
- In a large stock pot, combine kosher salt, brown sugar, hot water, cold water, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and peppercorns. Place turkey in pot. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and refrigerate overnight but not longer than 8 hours. Dry turkey inside and out, including cavities, and proceed with your cooking method.