He was the youngest American ever to snag the title at the World Pastry Team Championship in 2004. In 2011 Chris Hanmer handily baked his way to victory on season 2 of Top Chef: Just Desserts. Turns out Chef Chris also makes a mean kosher dessert. Five-ingredient Molten Chocolate Cakes and Apple Cinnamon Fritters? Um, yes, please!
Kosher Molten Chocolate Cakes
Illustration by John Ritter
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine
15 ounces dark chocolate
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt margarine and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, stirring until melted and hot to the touch. Turn off heat.
- Whip eggs, egg yolks and sugar until light and stiff.
- Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture in a steady stream.
- Spray insides of four 4-ounce ramekins with nonstick spray.
- Spoon mixture into ramekins, dividing evenly. Bake until set on the outside but still liquid in center, about 10-15 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.