Kosher Apple Cinnamon Fritters
2 1/4 cups apple cider
4 tablespoons margarine
2 cups matzo, cake
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavor
1 grated apple
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the cider, margarine, sugar and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Mix the cinnamon with about 1 cup of sugar and set aside.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, add the matzo all at one time, mixing it quickly. It will get stiff very quickly.
- Stir the mixture until it is smooth and there are no more lumps of matzo, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the thick paste into a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, stir. Or use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until the first one is fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- Grate the apples. Add to the mixture and mix well.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot to 350 degrees F. Place the mixture in a pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe out 3-inch logs into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown.
- Remove the fritters from the oil and mix in the cinnamon sugar.
Originally published in the April 2012 issue of Family Circle magazine.