Whole-grain newcomer freekeh is actually quite ancient — the roasted, immature wheat originated in the Middle East nearly 2,000 years ago. Its nutty flavor and chewy texture are similar to bulgur's. Try the high-protein-and-fiber grain in this Freekeh and Pea Salad.
- Cook 8 oz freekeh (such as Freekeh Foods) according to package directions; drain.
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp each olive oil and white wine vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Stir into freekeh and set aside to cool.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add 8 oz shelled fresh or frozen peas. Blanch 1 to 2 minutes; drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Mix into freekeh with 2 tbsp each finely diced shallots and chopped fresh tarragon.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Originally published in the May 2013 issue of Family Circle magazine.