Blue Chair's Concord Grape Jam
4 pounds Concord grapes, stemmed
2 1/2 pounds sugar
3 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
Zest of 1/2 orange, finely grated
1/2 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
- Working over saucepan, squeeze grapes, catching the flesh and juice in pan. Set the skins aside.
- Over medium heat, bring grapes to a simmer, cover and cook until soft, to 5 minutes. Push through fine strainer; discard seeds.
- Combine cooked grapes, sugar, lemon juice, orange zest and juice, and grape skins in 11-quart kettle. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until done, stirring frequently, 20 to 30 minutes. Begin testing for doneness after 20 minutes.
- To test, transfer jam onto a frozen spoon. Freeze for 3 minutes, then remove and tilt the spoon. Jam is done when it doesn't run.
- Using a stainless steel spoon, skim foam from the surface. Pour into sterilized jars and process according to manufacturer's instructions.