Make a dorm feel homey and personal with easy, inexpensive suggestions from Wendy Manwarren Generes, owner of e-design firm Wendy James Designs.
- Rearrange furniture to make the space look bigger. Move a dresser into the closet and place desks back-to-back, perpendicular to the wall.
- Push a bed against the wall lengthwise so that it functions like a daybed. A few decorative pillows can turn it into a sofa when friends come over.
- Get an upholstered ottoman—it doesn't take up much space but is convenient for propping up feet or providing extra seating.
- Discuss decor with roommates beforehand to avoid clashing colors or prints (which can make a space feel chaotic). When in doubt, get a white comforter and dress it up with pillows or a throw.
- Put up self-adhesive temporary wallpaper. You can cover an entire wall—or just use it as an accent strip.
WIN IT! New clothes, a state-of-the-art tablet, supplies galore?let digital coupon site RetailMeNot.com foot the bill for your back-to-school shopping with a $500 Visa gift card! There are four up for grabs. To enter, go to