4 Easy Medicine Ball Exercises
The Best Medicine Ball Exercises for Beginners
Medicine ball exercises pack major benefits. But don’t just take our word for it: Add a med ball to an ab crunch, for example, and you’ll recruit 12 ½ times more muscles than if you do it sans-resistance, according to research published in The Journal of Applied Research.
Target multiple muscle groups—and more muscle cells—all at once and in less time with this medicine ball full-body workout. You’re just four moves and one fitness tool away from a stronger, more powerful self. Get started with a 4- to 6-pound ball and these easy medicine ball workout moves three times a week.
Seated Medicine Ball Trunk Rotations
This easy medicine ball workout challenges: Abs and arms
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent, feet together, and heels on the floor while holding a medicine ball close to your body. Keep your back straight and upright.
- Rotate your torso to one side, keeping the ball close to you.
- Pause briefly and turn to the other side.
- Do 2 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
This easy medicine ball workout challenges: Abs, shoulders, and arms
- Stand up straight with feet apart, left foot forward. Hold a medicine ball with both hands directly in front of you, close to your body.
- Without moving your core, slowly rotate your arms to the right so the ball is low and to the side of your right hip.
- Then, slowly rotate your arms up and across your body while keeping torso and hips still.
- Hold the ball above your left shoulder for a moment before bringing the ball back down to the side of your right hip.
- Do 10 to 12 reps on that side, then repeat the move to the opposite direction with your right foot forward. Complete two sets.
Related: 8 Power Exercises for Busy Moms
Lunge with Overhead Press
This easy medicine ball workout challenges: Abs, butt, hips, legs, shoulders, and arms
Stand up straight with feet together. Hold a medicine ball in front of your chest with both hands.
- Keep your abs pulled in and take a big step forward with your right foot.
- Lower your hips straight down so your torso is perpendicular to the floor and your weight is on the right foot; simultaneously lift the medicine ball straight over your head.
- Pull the medicine ball back toward your chest while stepping your left leg forward so you end in the starting position.
- Do five to six reps then repeat stepping forward with your left foot. Complete two sets.
Overhead Medicine Ball Chops
This easy medicine ball workout challenges: Back, butt, hips, legs, shoulders, and arms
- Stand with feet hip-width apart. Hold a medicine ball directly in front of your chest with palms facing each other and elbows pointing at the floor.
- Keeping your head facing forward, back straight and abs engaged, hinge forward at your hips and reach the medicine ball back between your legs.
- Do two sets of eight to 12 reps. (Then cool down after this at-home medicine ball workout with some yoga.)