- 1 of 5 Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Fill 18 indents of 2 muffin pans with liners; set aside.
- 2 of 5 In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In another small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup brown sugar and half of the apple pieces; set aside.
- 3 of 5 Beat butter and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar together on medium-high speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in applesauce and vanilla extract.
- 4 of 5 Reduce speed to low and alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour. Stir in remaining apple pieces.
- 5 of 5 Fill each muffin liner with 1/4 cup batter. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon applebrown sugar mixture on top of each muffin. Bake muffins at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
Servings Per Recipe: 18
Per Serving: 1 g fiber, 159 mg sodium, 2 g sat. fat, 3 g Fat, total, 31 mg chol., 3 g pro., 26 g carb., 142 kcal cal.