Fried Onion Rings
- 1 of 7 Cut onions into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Separate slices into individual rings (about 60 rings). Place in large bowl; add enough cool water to cover. Set aside.
- 2 of 7 In medium-size bowl, whisk together the 1-1/2 cups flour, the corn flake crumbs, sugar, salt and Italian seasoning. Stir in beer and oil. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 3 of 7 Pour the 6 cups oil into large saucepot or deep-fat fryer. Heat oil over medium-high heat until it registers 360 degrees F to 375 degrees F on deep-fat frying thermometer, about 20 minutes. Adjust heat as needed to maintain the temperature while frying.
- 4 of 7 Drain onion slices; toss with the remaining 1/4 cup flour in large bowl.
- 5 of 7 Stir lightly beaten egg whites into the beer batter. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- 6 of 7 Place 5 or 6 onion rings into beer batter; swirl rings around in bowl. With metal tongs, carefully lift batter-coated rings, allowing excess batter to drip back into bowl, and slip rings into hot oil. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crispy. Using a metal slotted spoon or skimmer, transfer rings to paper-towel lined baking sheet.
- 7 of 7 Place baking sheet in 200 degrees F oven to keep onion rings warm while preparing remaining rings. Sprinkle with additional salt before serving, if desired. Serve immediately.
Servings Per Recipe: 20
Per Serving: 1 g fiber, 0 mg chol., 1 g sat. fat, 10 g Fat, total, 14 g carb., 2 g pro., 162 kcal cal., 113 mg sodium