Spicy Cheese Straws
- 1 of 7 Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2 of 7 In a medium-size bowl, mix cheese, chili powder and garlic salt. Set aside.
- 3 of 7 On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 pastry sheet into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Brush lightly with the egg. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture and press gently into pastry with rolling pin. Turn sheet over and repeat process with egg and cheese mixture, pressing in lightly with rolling pin.
- 4 of 7 Starting from a 10-inch end, fold one-third of the pastry over the middle third. Fold opposite one-third over both to make 10 x 5-inch rectangle.
- 5 of 7 Cut rectangle in half crossways into two 5-inch squares. Cut each squareinto ten 1/2-inch-wide strips for a total of 20 pieces.
- 6 of 7 Place strips on ungreased baking sheets, twisting a few times and pressing ends onto sheets to prevent strips from uncurling. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove straws to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining ingredients for a total of 40 cheese straws. Store in a tightly covered container.
- 7 of 7 To present as a gift, pack in decorative boxes or containers with tight-fitting lids.
Servings Per Recipe: 40
Per Serving: 6 g Fat, total, 6 g carb., 3 g pro., 94 kcal cal., 171 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 2 g sat. fat, 9 mg chol.