Italian Meatballs With Rotelli & Meatball Heros
- 1 of 2 Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots and peppers; cook, stirring, 10 to 12 minutes or until softened. Remove half for making meatballs.
- 2 of 2 Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper flakes to vegetable mixture remaining in pot. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- 1 of 4 Place reserved vegetable mixture, chuck, crumbs, zucchini, eggs, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and Parmesan in large bowl. With clean, wet hands, mix.
- 2 of 4 Line baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Form meat mixture into 36 meatballs (1/4 scant cup for each). Place on prepared baking sheet.
- 3 of 4 Drop meatballs into simmering sauce; dont stir for 5 minutes. Simmer in sauce for another 30 minutes, gently stirring occasionally.
- 4 of 4 Spoon half of sauce and half the meatballs over cooked rotelli on large platter. Cool remaining sauce and meatballs for future Meatball Heros (recipe follows). Cover; refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze up to 2 months. Makes 6 servings plus enough for Meatball Heros (recipe follows).
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Per Serving: 1322 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 78 g carb., 22 g Fat, total, 644 kcal cal., 35 g pro., 8 g sat. fat, 120 mg chol.