Standing Rib Roast With Fennel Crust
- 1 of 3 Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place roast in large roasting pan.
- 2 of 3 Carefully mash together garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt with side of knife to make paste; place in bowl. Stir in fennel, thyme, pepper, oil, remaining salt. Spread over top of roast.
- 3 of 3 Roast beef in 450 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees . Roast until instant-read meat thermometer inserted in thickest part without touching bone registers 120 degrees F, about another 2 hours. Let roast stand 20 minutes.
Prepare the sauce:
- 1 of 3 Pour the pan drippings into a 2-cup measure. Set the roasting pan aside. Skim 2 tablespoons of fat from the drippings and place in a 2-quart saucepan. Skim any remaining fat from the drippings and discard. Add the broth and wine to the roasting pan. Place the pan over medium-high heat; stir up any browned bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon; add to drippings in measuring cup.
- 2 of 3 Add shallots to fat in saucepan; cook until softened, 3 minutes. Stir in flour, thyme and salt until smooth. Gradually whisk in drippings. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in browning sauce if using.
- 3 of 3 Carve roast. Serve with sauce. Makes 16 servings.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Per Serving: 396 mg sodium, 442 kcal cal., 48 g pro., 2 g carb., 25 g Fat, total, 1396 mg chol.