Kalamata Olive Baguettes
- 1 of 7 In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast. Stir in 2 cups flour and 1-3/4 teaspoons salt to make a paste. Cover with clean kitchen towel; let stand 20 minutes or until sponge is frothy.
- 2 of 7 Stir olives, rosemary and 2-1/2 cups flour into sponge to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- 3 of 7 Oil large bowl. Add dough; turn to coat. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes, until almost doubled in volume.
- 4 of 7 Punch down dough; divide in half. On lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into 17 x 6-inch rectangle. Starting from long side, roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Tuck ends under to form loaf, about 16 x 2-1/4 inches. Place in one shaped half of perforated baguette or Italian bread pan (16 x 8 inches) (See Note), or on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Repeat with other half of dough. If using baking sheet, space loaves 3 inches apart. Cover loaves with towel. Let rise in warm place 45 minutes or until almost doubled in volume.
- 5 of 7 Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 6 of 7 In small measuring cup, stir together 1/4 cup cool water and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gently brush over loaves. With sharp knife, cut several diagonal slashes over top of each loaf.
- 7 of 7 Bake in 425 degree F oven 30 minutes or until crust is browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove breads to wire rack; let cool. Serve warm or completely cooled. Makes 2 loaves.
- 1 of 1 Preforated French bread pan is available at Bed, Bath and Beyond or www.bedbathandbeyond.com.
Servings Per Recipe:
Per Serving: 1 g Fat, total, 69 kcal cal., 0 g sat. fat, 3 g pro., 0 mg chol., 13 g carb., 1 g fiber, 214 mg sodium