Semitas (Little Biscuits)
- 1 of 5 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in bowl. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 3/4 cup milk, stirring with fork until mixture comes together into pliable, but not sticky dough. Add more milk if needed.
- 2 of 5 Transfer dough to lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and silky, 5 minutes. Let rest, covered with a damp cloth, for 15 minutes.
- 3 of 5 Shape dough into 12 equal balls. (Keep remaining dough and completed balls covered to prevent drying.) To shape each ball: Hold ball of dough in both hands, thumbs on top and fingers underneath. Working with your fingers, lightly pull and push dough out from center to make a slightly flattened shape like a big mushroom cap, 3 inches across.
- 4 of 5 Lightly coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place pieces of dough on baking sheet. Flatten each into a 4-inch circle. Rub a little oil over the tops of semitas. Prick them all over with a fork.
- 5 of 5 Bake in preheated 400 degree F oven until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve at once with butter and fruit preserves. Makes 12 biscuits.
Servings Per Recipe:
Per Serving: 9 g Fat, total, 2 mg chol., 247 mg sodium, 199 kcal cal., 4 g pro., 25 g carb.