Buttermilk Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 of 4 Heat oven to 350 degrees . Coat two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms with wax paper; coat with spray. Microwave bittersweet chocolate and vegetable oil 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- 2 of 4 In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs, one by one, beating after each addition. Beat in chocolate.
- 3 of 4 On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk and ending with flour; beat 1 minute. Divide batter between pans.
- 4 of 4 Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of layers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on wire racks. Invert pans and turn out cakes onto racks. Remove paper; cool completely.
- 1 of 3 In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and bittersweet chocolates with butter. Microwave 1 minute; stir until smooth. Cool slightly, then with hand mixer, beat in sour cream and vanilla. On low speed, beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy and easy to spread. Refrigerate 10 minutes if too soft.
- 2 of 3 Insert toothpicks halfway up side of one cake layer. Using picks as a guide, slice cake in half horizontally. Repeat with other layer.
- 3 of 3 Set aside 3 cups frosting. Place one cake layer, cut side down, on serving platter. Spread with 1 3/4 cups frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layers and frosting, ending with one cake layer, cut side down. Spread reserved 3 cups frosting over top of cake. Refrigerate 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Per Serving: 675 kcal cal., 6 g pro., 246 mg sodium, 21 g sat. fat, 2 g fiber, 75 g sugar, 34 g Fat, total, 92 g carb.