- 1 of 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place strawberries and their syrup in a medium-size saucepan. Heat over low heat until thawed and fluid.
- 2 of 5 In a large bowl, combine baking mix, sugar, lemon juice/milk mixture, melted butter and almond extract. Stir just until a soft dough forms. Drop batter into mounds on ungreased baking sheet, about 1/3 cup per mound. Sprinkle each with the chopped almonds.
- 3 of 5 Bake shortcakes at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- 4 of 5 Meanwhile, stir together cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water. Add to strawberries and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute until clear and thickened. Remove from heat.
- 5 of 5 Once shortcakes are done, cool on a wire rack. To serve: Split cakes in half across the middle. Fill each with a heaping 1/4 cup strawberries and sauce. Top each with 1/4 cup whipped topping and replace tops. Makes 6 servings.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Per Serving: 2 g fiber, 643 mg sodium, 18 mg chol., 8 g sat. fat, 61 g carb., 17 g Fat, total, 5 g pro., 408 kcal cal.