Chicken Thighs With Sweet Spice Rub
- 1 of 6 To make brine for soaking the chicken, combine the salt, sugar and water in a large nonmetallic bowl. Stir to completely dissolve the salt and sugar.
- 2 of 6 Place the chicken thighs in the brine, making sure all the pieces are submerged. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3 of 6 Meanwhile, to make spice rub, mix together brown sugar, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl.
- 4 of 6 Lightly brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Then prepare the grill with low-heat coals or heat a gas grill.
- 5 of 6 Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. Dust chicken on both sides with the spice rub, pressing gently to make sure the rub adheres; if keeping the skin on, spread the rub evenly under the skin with your fingers.
- 6 of 6 Grill chicken, uncovered, for about 5 minutes per side, until the surfaces begin to brown. Turn the thighs over, cover the grill and cook for 5 more minutes per side. Uncover and continue grilling, turning the thighs every 5 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh, without touching a bone, registers 170 degrees F, about 10 to 15 minutes more; surfaces should be mahogany brown and flesh should feel firm.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Per Serving: 10 g carb., 18 g Fat, total, 41 g pro., 2 g fiber, 1737 mg sodium, 363 kcal cal., 144 mg chol., 5 g sat. fat