3-Tier Feather-Light Chocolate Cake
- 1 of 8 Adjust oven rack to top of lower third of oven. Place sugar in small heavy-duty plastic food-storage bag; seal; freeze 20 minutes.
- 2 of 8 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9 x 2-inch round metal cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease paper; flour pans and paper.
- 3 of 8 Pour boiling water over cocoa in bowl; stir to dissolve. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla until smooth; mixture should be cool.
- 4 of 8 Place large mixing bowl and beaters in freezer 5 minutes.
- 5 of 8 Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto waxed paper. Repeat 2 more times.
- 6 of 8 To cream, beat butter in chilled bowl with beaters 3 minutes, until light in color. With mixer running, add chilled sugar in stream. Beat 3 to 4 minutes, until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each; beat 1 to 2 minutes, until airy.
- 7 of 8 Fold in two-thirds of flour mixture; fold in cocoa mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- 8 of 8 Bake in 350 degrees F oven 25 minutes or until centers spring back when touched. Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes. Turn cakes out to cool. Peel off waxed paper.
Meanwhile, prepare Chocolate-Cream Frosting:
- 1 of 2 Melt semisweet chocolate, unsalted butter and 1/4 cup of the heavy cream in saucepan over very low heat; stir until smooth. Cool. Beat the 1 cup cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla in bowl just until soft peaks form; do not overbeat to prevent graininess. Fold third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture just until combined. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream just until combined.
- 2 of 2 Place cake layer on serving plate. Spread top with one-third of frosting. Place second layer on top; spread with third of frosting. Repeat with remaining layer and frosting. Garnish. Refrigerate until serving.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Per Serving: 20 g Fat, total, 46 g carb., 11 g sat. fat, 104 mg chol., 232 mg sodium, 5 g pro., 368 kcal cal., 2 g fiber