Buttermilk-Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 of 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat three 8-inch-round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms with waxed paper rounds. Spray paper.
- 2 of 5 In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3 of 5 In second large bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high 3 to 4 minutes, until smooth and light; scrape down sides halfway through. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla; beat to mix.
- 4 of 5 On low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk and ending with flour. Scrape down sides of bowl; beat on medium 3 minutes. Fold in chocolate. Divide batter among pans, using scant 3 cups per pan; spread evenly in pans.
- 5 of 5 Bake in 350 degrees F oven 35 minutes, until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks 10 to 15 minutes. Turn out cakes; let cool. Remove waxed paper.
- 1 of 1 In large bowl, beat butter on medium-high until smooth and creamy, 2 minutes. On low speed, beat in 1 box sugar and half the buttermilk until blended, 1 to 2 minutes; scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in remaining box sugar, buttermilk and vanilla; beat until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap (can be kept at cool room temperature up to 1 hour).
- 1 of 1 Place one cake layer on cake stand or platter. Frost top with 1 cup frosting. Place another layer on top; frost top with 1 cup frosting. Top with third layer. Reserve 1 cup frosting for top. Frost side of cake with remaining frosting; then frost top with reserved 1 cup. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Per Serving: 20 g sat. fat, 117 mg chol., 33 g Fat, total, 258 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 6 g pro., 759 kcal cal., 113 g carb.