Coconut Cookie Dreams
Prep 30 m
Bake 40 m
Bake 10 - 12 m
- 1 of 1 In bowl, beat flour, cocoa powder, nutmeg, butter, sugar and salt on medium-high speed just until butter is incorporated. Add egg; beat just until dough forms; do not overmix. Pat into thick disk; wrap; refrigerate 2 hours (or up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 4 weeks). Dough will darken.
- 1 of 7 Heat oven to 310 degrees F. In small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over the 1/4 cup cold water. Let stand until gelatin has absorbed all the water, about 1 minute.
- 2 of 7 In 2-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar, rum and lime zest. Place over medium-high heat. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise; scrape seeds into milk; add bean. Add gelatin. Heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles begin to appear around edge of saucepan; do not boil. Remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean.
- 3 of 7 Pour hot liquid into tall container or large measuring cup. Mix with hand-held immersion blender about 30 seconds or just until thickened emulsion forms. Or whisk very well. Slowly add egg whites while continuing to blend. Blend until smooth, about 45 seconds.
- 4 of 7 Coat twelve 4 x 1-inch individual tartlet pans with nonstick cooking spray. (Or coat two 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans.) Pour 1/3 cup coconut mixture into each tart pan. (Or divide coconut mixture between 2 pans.) Place tart pans on rimmed baking sheet with 1-inch high sides. Place baking sheet in 310 degrees F oven. Add enough hot water from tap to baking sheet to come halfway up sides of tart pans. (Or place 2 pans in water baths.)
- 5 of 7 Bake tart pans in 310 degrees F oven 40 minutes, until custard trembles slightly when tarts are gently shaken. (Or 2 pans in water baths 25 minutes.) If any liquid is under skin, custard is underbaked. Return to oven; shake every 5 minutes until ready. Transfer pans to wire rack; let cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving, or overnight.
- 6 of 7 Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough in half. Place half on floured work surface; return other half to refrigerator. Using rolling pin, lightly hit dough with few quick raps to soften. Roll into 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Use 3-1/2-inch round fluted cutter to cut 12 circles (re-roll scraps). Place circles, 2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with rest of dough. Sprinkle with grated coconut, if desired.
- 7 of 7 Bake in 400 degrees F oven until firm to touch, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack; let cool. (Cookies can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.)
- 1 of 1 Place 1 cookie in center of a plate. Run paring knife around edge of tartlet pan; invert filling onto cookie. (If it doesnt unmold easily, dip bottom of pan in hot water.) Cover with another cookie. (Or use 3-1/2-inch cutter to cut out 6 circles from each baking pan of filling. With cooking spray-coated spatula, slide circles onto cookies.) Serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining filling and cookies for the number of desired servings.
Nutrition Information for Coconut Cookie Dreams
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Servings Per Recipe: 12