- 1 of 5 In a large bowl, whisk flour, hazelnuts and salt. Set aside
- 2 of 5 In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mixture may look curdled. On low speed, beat in flour mixture. Form dough into a thick disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- 3 of 5 Heat oven to 350 degrees F Coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, roll out on a floured surface 3/16 inch thick. Using a 3-inch Christmas tree cutter, cut out cookies and place on prepared baking sheets. Using a small diamond-shaped cutter, cut out the centers of half the cookies. Reroll scraps if necessary and repeat with remaining dough for a total of 48 cookies.
- 4 of 5 Bake at 350 degrees F for 11 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden. Remove from baking sheets to wire rack and let cool.
- 5 of 5 Dust cut-out cookies with confectioners sugar. Puree cherry preserves in food processor; spread 1/2 teaspoon on each remaining cookie. Place cut-out cookies on top of preserve-topped cookies. Let stand at room temperature until set.
Servings Per Recipe: 24