Retro Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 of 6 Line cookie sheets with parchment. Onto sheet of waxed paper, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and cloves.
- 2 of 6 In large bowl of freestanding mixer, beat butter and shortening on low speed until creamy, 3 minutes. Add light brown sugar; beat on moderate speed 1 minute. Add vanilla-scented sugar; beat 1 minute. With rubber spatula, blend in peanut butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- 3 of 6 On low speed, add sifted flour mixture in 2 additions, beating just until flour is absorbed. Mix in peanuts.
- 4 of 6 Turn dough out onto plastic wrap; press into flat cake; wrap and place in small baking pan. Freeze 20 minutes. Or, refrigerate 4 hours, until firm enough to handle (can be refrigerated up to 2 days).
- 5 of 6 Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Have plate of flour ready. For each cookie, shape heaping tablespoon dough into ball. Place balls, 3 inches apart, on lined cookie sheets, arranging 9 to a sheet. Flatten balls slightly with floured bottom of juice glass or palm of hand. Lightly dip tines of fork in flour; crisscross cookies twice (from top to bottom, side to side), pressing down lightly to level dough a bit.
- 6 of 6 Bake in 375 degree F oven 10 to 12 minutes, until just set. Transfer cookies to wire racks. Let cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Servings Per Recipe: