- 1 of 8 In medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. In large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until fluffy and smooth, 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, beat in flour mixture until dough forms. Divide dough in half; shape each half into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 30 minutes.
- 2 of 8 Set oven rack in bottom third of oven. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with nonstick foil or regular foil coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3 of 8 In processor, pulse candies until very finely ground, or crush in doubled plastic food-storage bags with bottom of heavy skillet.
- 4 of 8 Roll out half of dough to 3/8-inch thickness. Use the following scalloped cutters: 1 3/4-inch rounds and squares, 2-inch squares and rounds, 3-inch rounds and 3-1/4-inch rounds. (You may use a fluted pastry cutter to make squares.) Cut out cookies; reroll scraps. Cut out centers with smaller cutters: 1-inch opening for 1 3/4-inch and 2-inch cookies; 1-1/2-inch opening for 3-inch cookies; and 1-3/4-inch opening for 3-1/4-inch cookies.
- 5 of 8 Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Fill centers of cookies with ground candies to level of cookies. Sprinkle dough with decorator sugar; brush off any excess.
- 6 of 8 Bake in 375 degree F oven until candies in the panes are melted and cookies are lightly colored around edges, 10 to 13 minutes. Transfer baking sheet with cookies to wire rack; let cool completely.
- 7 of 8 Repeat rolling and cutting out cookies with the second half of the dough as in steps 4 and 5. Bake as in step 6.
- 8 of 8 Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Cookie cutters: Sweet Celebrations Inc. 1-800-328-6722 or visit www.sweetc.com. Makes 6 dozen.
Servings Per Recipe: 72