Daddy's Deep-Dish Potato Kugel
- 1 of 5 Heat oven to 400 degrees .
- 2 of 5 Brush an 8-inch square glass baking dish with 1 tsp of the canola oil. Wipe oil all over the bottom of dish and up the sides using a paper towel. Set aside.
- 3 of 5 Peel potatoes and rinse in cold water. Grate potatoes into a large bowl on smallest side of a box grater. Pour off all water. Add eggs, remaining 1 tbsp oil, the salt and pepper. Mix really well by hand, breaking up yolks, until everything is thoroughly combined and batter is smooth. Pour into prepared dish and bake at 400 degrees until top is crispy and deep golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 1 hour, 30 minutes to 1 hour, 40 minutes.
- 4 of 5 Check your kugel at the 45-minute, 1-hour and 1-hour-and-15-minute marks. If your kugel has risen in the center, use a fork to poke holes in it, then use the back of the fork to pat down and flatten it. You want a perfectly flat top. If your kugel doesnt rise, dont worry; this is a good thing.
- 5 of 5 Remove kugel from oven. Using a knife, separate kugel from walls of baking dish, being careful not to break kugel and paying special attention to corners. Place a square serving platter over kugel and invert kugel onto platter. Its best to cut kugel into squares at the table, to order, so it does not dry out.
Servings Per Recipe: 6