Bunuelos-Mexican Christmas Fritters
- 1 of 6 To make cinnamon tea, simmer cinnamon and water in small heavy saucepan 20 minutes.
- 2 of 6 Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in the shortening with pastry blender until texture of coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup hot cinnamon tea, tossing with fork just until dough comes together. If too dry (pastry should be similar to pie dough), toss in a little more cinnamon tea. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3 of 6 Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes. Pinch off small chunks of dough and roll into 1-inch balls. Cover balls; let rest at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 4 of 6 Pour vegetable oil into large deep skillet to a depth of 2 to 2-1/2 inches. Insert deep-fat thermometer. Heat until oil reaches 380 degrees F.
- 5 of 6 Working with one dough ball at a time, flatten on floured surface with rolling pin; roll to circle as thin as piecrust, 5 inches across.
- 6 of 6 Fry 1 bunuelo at a time in oil until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes. Adjust heat as needed to keep temperature of oil between 380 degrees F and 400 degrees F. With slotted spoon, lift bunuelo to paper toweling to drain. While still hot, sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar.
Servings Per Recipe: