Double Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 of 6 Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 9-inch round cake pan (with removable bottom, if available). Coarsely chop 1 cup of strawberries.
- 2 of 6 Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt into a large bowl.
- 3 of 6 Whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and egg in medium-size bowl. Add buttermilk mixture and the 1 cup chopped strawberries to flour mixture; stir until well blended and evenly moistened. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
- 4 of 6 Bake the shortcake in 400 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center of the shortcake comes clean. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to rack; let cool completely.
- 5 of 6 Beat cream, powdered sugar, lemon rind and extract in medium-size bowl until stiff peaks form.
- 6 of 6 Slice shortcake horizontally in half. Place bottom layer, cut side up, on platter. Spread with 2/3 cup lemon cream. Place half of remaining berries, stem end down, on top of lemon cream. Spread cut side of the other half of shortcake with 2/3 cup lemon cream. Carefully invert on top of strawberries. Dollop top of shortcake with remaining lemon cream. Arrange remaining strawberries, stem side down, on top. Serve immediately or refrigerate for no more than 1 hour.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Per Serving: 18 g Fat, total, 84 mg chol., 11 g sat. fat, 4 g fiber, 362 mg sodium, 6 g pro., 43 g carb., 357 kcal cal.