Roast Duck with Cranberry Chutney
- 1 of 3 Remove neck, giblets and any packages from cavity of duck. Rinse duck thoroughly and pat dry. Place duck on a flat work surface. Pull the skin up and away from the breast meat with your fingers, being careful not to tear the skin. Cut off any excess skin near the cavities. Place the duck on a rack over a baking sheet and refrigerate, uncovered, overnight.
- 2 of 3 Heat oven to 350 degree F. Drain any excess liquid; season with salt and lemon pepper.
- 3 of 3 Place duck on a rack in a roasting pan breast side up. Prick skin where leg is attached; do not cut into meat. Roast at 350 degree F for 1 hour. Turn duck over and roast for an additional hour. Increase oven temperature to 500 degree F and turn duck over. Roast at 500 degree F for an additional 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degree F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove duck from oven; let rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- 1 of 2 In a medium-size heavy saucepan, add vinegar, 1 cup of the sugar, onion, ginger and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add cranberries and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and orange juice. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- 2 of 2 Carve duck. Serve duck with about 1/4 cup chutney per person. Makes 4 servings.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Per Serving: 3 g fiber, 545 mg sodium, 71 mg chol., 8 g sat. fat, 446 kcal cal., 17 g pro., 42 g carb., 24 g Fat, total