Date-Nut Cake With Coconut Frosting
- 1 of 4 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 5-3/4 x 3 x 2-1/8-inch mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2 of 4 In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- 3 of 4 Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add dates, shortening, baking soda and vanilla. Stir until shortening is melted. Remove from heat; stir into dry ingredients. Add egg and beat with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined. Stir in walnuts.
- 4 of 4 Divide between prepared loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack; cool completely.
- 1 of 2 Heat broiler. In a small saucepan, melt butter and sugar. Stir in cream and coconut. Spread frosting equally over the two loaves. Broil for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes until lightly browned. Let loaves cool completely.
- 2 of 2 To present as a gift, place cooled cake in decorative tin or wrap in pretty paper.
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Per Serving: 11 g Fat, total, 40 g carb., 3 g pro., 262 kcal cal., 2 g fiber, 4 g sat. fat, 21 mg chol., 141 mg sodium