Hatchin' Egg Cake
- 1 of 4 Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat egg pans with cooking spray. Sift flour, baking powder, salt into bowl.
- 2 of 4 Beat shortening in large bowl until smooth. Beat in sugar until fluffy. Beat in whites, one at a time.
- 3 of 4 Mix milk, vanilla, zest and juice in bowl (may look curdled). On low speed, beat flour mixture in 3 additions alternating with milk mixture, into egg white mixture. Divide batter between pans.
- 4 of 4 Bake in 350 degrees F oven 40 to 45 minutes, until cakes test clean with pick. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes. Unmold cakes. Let cool.
- 1 of 2 Beat shortening, butter, sugar, milk, extract and zest in bowl until smooth and spreadable.
- 2 of 2 Trim 1-1/2-inch piece off one end of each cake to form base. Sandwich halves together with 1/2 cup frosting, first trimming flat sides even, as needed. Stand sandwiched cake on flat base. Cut broken egg edge off top quarter of cake; cut off top. Scoop out small portion of cake in center of base of egg. Reserve 1 cup frosting; use remainder to frost outside of cake and cap. Place cap in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm.
- 1 of 3 Tint 2 tablespoons of reserved frosting green. Divide remaining reserved frosting in half. Tint half pink, the other blue. Spoon tinted frostings into 3 separate pastry bags fitted with decorative tips. Pipe patterns on cake.
- 2 of 3 Knead coconut and few drops green coloring in plastic bag. Place some grass inside scooped-out portion of base, reserving remainder. Remove 1 tablespoon marzipan; tint 1 teaspoon brown (chick eyes) and 2 teaspoons orange (beaks, crowns). Tint remainder yellow.
- 3 of 3 Roll two 1-tablespoon portions yellow marzipan between palms into balls. Attach to make chick. Form wings with more yellow marzipan. Make orange beak and crown, and brown eyes from marzipan; attach to head. Repeat to make 3 or 4 chicks total. Place in grass in top of cake base. Scatter remaining grass around bottom of cake on platter.
Servings Per Recipe: